Recent Statistical Survey Reports, April 2015

PDF format:202KB

Statistical Survey Reports

Monthly Labour Survey (Final Report in January)

Friday, April 3, released by the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfareopen new window

Total amount of cash earnings increased by 0.6% and contractual cash earnings increased by 0.3% (full-time employees 0.5%, part-time employees 0.3%) from a year earlier.

Special cash earnings increased by 7.6% from a year earlier. Scheduled cash earnings increased by 0.2% and non-scheduled cash earnings increased by 2.1%. Real wage (total) decreased by 2.3%, from a year earlier.

Non-scheduled hours worked by manufacturing industry workers at business establishments with 5 or more employees increased by 3.2% from the previous month (seasonally adjusted).

Monthly Labour Survey (Provisional Report in February / Year-end bonus)

Friday, April 3, released by the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare

About report in February, see below.

The amount of year-end bonus in 2014 was 375,431yen, increased by 1.9% from the previous year.

Monthly Labour Survey (Final Report in February)

Friday, April 17, released by the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfareopen new window

Total amount of cash earnings increased by 0.1% and contractual cash earnings unchanged (full-time employees 0.5%, part-time employees 0.8%) from a year earlier.

Special cash earnings increased by 5.7% from a year earlier. Scheduled cash earnings unchanged and non-scheduled cash earnings increased by 0.5%. Real wage (total) decreased by 2.3%, from a year earlier.

Non-scheduled hours worked by manufacturing industry workers at business establishments with 5 or more employees decreased by 3.7% from the previous month (seasonally adjusted).

Indexes of Business Conditions February 2015 (Revised Release)

Tuesday, April 21, released by the Cabinet Office

The Coincident Index of Composite Index (CI, revised figures, 2010=100) in February was 110.7, a decrease of 2.5 points. And 3 months backward moving average increased for 0.13 points, and 7 months backward moving average increased for 0.01 points. So the Assessment of Coincident Index was “Improving” (The same as the previous month)

The Leading Index was 104.8, a decrease of 0.2 points, and the Lagging Index was 121.5, an increase of 0.4 points.

Status on Industrial accidents of death cases and significant accidents in 2014

Tuesday, April 28, released by the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare

The number of deaths by industrial accidents in 2014 was 1,057, increased by 27 from the previous year.

Indices of Industrial Production (March)

Thursday, April 30, released by the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industryopen new window

The index of industrial production (seasonally adjusted, 2010=100) decreased by 0.3% from the previous month.

According to the Survey of Production Forecast in Manufacturing, Production is expected to increase in April and decrease in May. The Synthetic judgment is “Industrial Production shows signs of increase at a moderate pace.” (The same as the previous month)

Monthly Survey on Service Industries (Preliminary Report in February)

Thursday, April 30, released by the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications(PDF:77KB)open new window

The monthly sales amount of service industry by industry of business activity in February 2015 was 26.6 trillion yen, an increase of 2.6 % from the same month the year before. The total number of persons working at the location of establishment in the industry by industry of establishment and enterprise, etc. was 28,390 thousand person, an increase of 0.5% from the same month the year before.

Monthly Labour Survey (Provisional Report in March)

Friday, May 1, released by the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare

Total amount of cash earnings increased by 0.1% and contractual cash earnings increased by 0.1% (full-time employees 0.5%, part-time employees 0.4%) from a year earlier.

Special cash earnings increased by 1.6% from a year earlier. Scheduled cash earnings increased by 0.3% and non-scheduled cash earnings decreased by 2.3%. Real wage (total) decreased by 2.6%, from a year earlier.

Non-scheduled hours worked by manufacturing industry workers at business establishments with 5 or more employees increased by 1.2% from the previous month (seasonally adjusted).

Labour Force Survey (March and FY2014)

Friday, May 1, released by the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications

The unemployment rate (seasonally adjusted) was 3.4%, decreased by 0.1 point from the previous month. That for men was 3.6%, decreased by 0.1 point from the previous month and that for women was 3.1%, decreased by 0.1 point from the previous month.

The number of unemployed persons (seasonally adjusted) was 2.21 million, decreased by 90 thousand from the previous month.

The number of employees was 55.80 million, increased by 210 thousand from the previous month.

Among them, the number of regular employee was 32.71 million, increased by 380 thousand from the previous year and the number of non-regular employee was 19.73 million, increased by 90 thousand from the previous year.

The unemployment rate in FY2014 was 3.5%, decreased by 0.4 point from the previous fiscal year.

Employment Referrals for General Workers (March and FY2014)

Friday, May 1, released by the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfareopen new window

Active job openings-to-applicants ratio (seasonally adjusted) was 1.15, unchanged from the previous month.

The number of monthly active job openings (person(s)) (seasonally adjusted) was decreased by 1.2% from the previous month and the number of monthly active applications (person(s)) (seasonally adjusted) was decreased by 1.3% from the previous month.

New job openings-to-applicants ratio (seasonally adjusted) was 1.72, increased by 0.09 point from the previous month.

Active job openings-to-applicants ratio for regular staff (seasonally adjusted) was 0.71, increased by 0.01 point from the previous month.

The ratio of active job openings to applicants in FY2014 was 1.11, increased by 0.14 point from the previous fiscal year.

Trend in Unemployment Rate and Ratio of Active Job
Openings to Applicants (seasonally adjusted)

See the table above for chart data.

Family Income and Expenditure Survey (March)

Friday, May 1, released by the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications

The average monthly income for a worker’s household with 2 or more family members was decreased by 0.3% in real terms from the same month a year before.

With regard to change over the year of wages & salaries, household heads was -2.4% in real terms from the previous year, spouse of household was -0.2% in real terms from the previous year and other household members was 13.1% in real terms from the previous year.

The average monthly consumption expenditures for a worker’s household with 2 or more family members was decreased by 11.0% in real terms from the same month a year before.

Consumer Price Index (March and FY2014)

Friday, May 1, released by the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications

The consumer price index for Japan in March 2015 was 103.3(2010=100), up 2.3% over the year. Omitting Fresh food, the comprehensive index was 103.0, up 2.2% over the year.

The consumer price index for Japan in FY 2014 was 103.4(2010=100), up 2.9% over the year. Omitting Fresh food, the comprehensive index was 103.2, up 2.8% over the year.

The consumer price index for Ku-area of Tokyo in April 2015(preliminary) was 102.5(2010=100), up 0.7% over the year. Omitting Fresh food, the comprehensive index was 102.1, up 0.4% over the year.

Other Reports

Monthly Economic Report (April)

Monday, April 20, released by the Cabinet Officeopen new window

The Japanese economy is on a moderate recovery, as improvement can be seen in the corporate sector. (The same as the previous month)

  • Private consumption holds firm as a whole. (The same as the previous month)
  • Business investment is almost flat. (The same as the previous month)
  • Exports show movements of picking up recently. (The same as the previous month)
  • Industrial production is picking up. (The same as the previous month)
  • Corporate profits show an improvement. Firms' judgment on current business conditions is almost flat, while signs of improvement can be seen in some areas. (The same as the previous month)
  • The employment situation shows a trend toward improvement. (The same as the previous month)
  • Consumer prices are flat. (The same as the previous month)

Monthly Economic Labour Report (April)

Thursday, April 23, released by the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare

The employment situation shows a trend toward improvement. (The same as the previous month)

Downloading Adobe Readeropen a new window To view PDF files, you will need Adobe Reader Software installed on your computer.The Adobe Reader can be downloaded from this banner.