What is the Japan Institute for Labour Policy and Training?
JILPT, or the Japan Institute for Labour Policy and Training, is a government-related organization. The objective of The Japan Institute for Labour Policy and Training is to contribute to the planning of labor policies and work toward their effective and efficient implementation, as well as to promote the livelihood of workers and develop the national economy by conducting comprehensive research projects on labor issues and policies, both domestically and internationally, and capitalize on the findings of such research by implementing training programs for administrative officials.
1. Comprehensive Research on Labor Policies
The following research projects are now being conducted.
- Research on Strategic Labor/Employment Policies for Non-regular Workers
This research carries out studies on comprehensive and strategic labor/employment policies from a cross-sectional point of view.
- Research on Employment/Labor in Response to Changes in Economic and Social Environments in Japan
This research overviews Japan's mid-term framework of labor supply and demand and explores how labor, employment or the labor market is affected by structural changes in economy and society, such as economic globalization, global issues concerning the environment and resources, and the aging of and decline in population that has entered a new phase.
- Research on Vocational Capability Development System in Response to Economic and Social Changes
Amid changes in employment practices and modes, as well as in vocational capability development at educational stages, this research seeks ideal vocational capability development and evaluation systems and ideal means to connect education to vocational careers.
- Research on Support for Lifetime Career Development and Promotion of Employment
This research examines the actual circumstances and problems from the perspective of offering lifetime support for career development and promoting employment so as to realize enriched vocational careers.
- Research on Companies´ Employment Systems and Personnel Strategies, Improvement of the Quality of Employment through Development of Employment Rules, and Realization of Decent Work
This research ascertains the present status of companies' management strategies, their personnel management in response to changes in employment structure, and changes in the overall employment systems, and promote studies on how to improve the quality of employment through promoting work-life balance.
- Research on Mechanism for Establishing Terms and Conditions of Employment, Centering on Labor Management Relations
This research examines the current situations of labor management agreements and collective agreements in Europe, where collective bargaining systems have been working nationwide at the industry level, as well as issues of workplace harassment, which symbolizes the individualization of labor management relations.
2. Training of Staff and Other Personnel Related to Labour Affairs
Using the results of research project, the Institute provides training programs for personnel in charge of labor affairs and other related affairs at the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare. Simultaneously, through such training sessions, the Institute keeps abreast of current issues in labor administration and the problems these officialsactually face. The information so acquired will then be utilized in future research activities.
3. Dissemination of Research Results --Distribution of Research Results and Formation of Policy Proposals--
With the goal of contributing to the planning and drafting of labor policy, and stimulating discussion at every level of society, results from research and survey are promptly announced in JILPT research reports, such as the monthly publication, "The Japanese Journal of Labour Studies" and JILPT´s website.